Thursday, November 8, 2012

The US presidential election!

Even though I gave it an exclamation point, the election -- as seen from Turkey -- probably deserves no more than a period. Mostly because it happened in the middle of the night here. We get CNN International in our cable package, so I made a valiant attempt to stay up all night to watch the election returns. I napped in preparation from 11pm to 2am, but then I fell asleep again at 4am, only to wake up at 7am, right as CNN was declaring Obama the winner. Yesterday, I was completely and utterly exhausted. (How did I ever manage to stay up all night as a teenager and feel great the next day?)

On a related note, there's a bakery in Istanbul that makes "Obama" cookies. According to my friend who brought them into work one day, the owner named them Obama cookies because the president was in town a couple of years ago when he came up with them, or something like that. And, err, because of the cookie's colors, I suppose. (Hey, I didn't name them.) The inside of the cookie is chesnut, and I imagine you can still find them at Poğaçacı bakery in Hisarüstü, if you were so inclined.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. Domestically Yours reserves the right to remove comments deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will not be approved by the moderator.