Friday, December 28, 2012

25 Days of Ornaments: Salt-dough ornaments

Last year, I made some Fimo ornaments, but this year, it really wasn't an option (I've only seen that type of clay once in Istanbul) -- and really, who needs it when they are multiple clay-like tutorials on Pinterest?

The first tutorial I tried was this cornstarch/baking soda/water concoction. It didn't work for me. The first time around, I admittedly skimped on the baking soda because baking soda is in short supply here. For whatever reason, you can only buy baking soda in Turkey in these little 5-gram packets...and my cut-down version, a fourth of the original, still required 59 grams of baking soda. That's a lot of little packets. On the first try, my ornaments cracked terribly -- but I suppose it was my own fault. On the second try, I sucked it up and used the required amount of little baking-soda packets. My ornaments still cracked, though not as badly as the first time. So I gave up on that recipe -- from the comments on the original website, it seems like the recipe is hit or miss. For some people, it worked great, for others, not so much.

So, I decided to try salt-dough ornaments next -- I hadn't made them since grade school. All of my childhood salt-dough ornaments crumbled and died long ago, but one of my brother's still exists -- it's Snoopy sitting on his doghouse, but you can't really tell anymore, I just happen to remember that what it was. Because of this, I wasn't that keen on doing salt-dough ornaments -- I do like my ornaments to last -- but I decided to play around with them this year just for fun.


So I had fun. I used this recipe, but brushed up on the basics with this salt-dough tutorial. And it was fun. :)  But once they were baked, after an endless amount of baking time, I didn't know what to do with them. I tried decorating some of them with beads, which I didn't like, but I was quite pleased with the ones I adorned with paper tape.

Yep, paper tape. Instead of washi tape, I used the paper tape I bought much more cheaply at Target. I got the idea of using washi tape from a Pinterest pin -- I saw the photo and thought maybe she had used clay ornaments, but when I actually checked the link, it turned out that she was using cardboard IKEA ornaments. But it turns out you can actually affix paper tape to salt-dough ornaments.

When I tried to tape down the sides, the tape wouldn't attach, so I cut the tape to align with the top edges. The tape seemed to stick pretty well once the edges were perfectly aligned, but I used a little bit of all-purpose glue just to be safe. It's been a couple of days now and the ornaments are still in good shape, but I can't attest yet to their longetivity. So keep that in mind. :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is governed by the general rules of respectful civil discourse. Domestically Yours reserves the right to remove comments deemed to be offensive or unsuited to the subject matter of this site. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will not be approved by the moderator.